• Apart from providing mental health care facilities, Department is working towards improvement in mental health awareness and educating public about mental illness. Manpower training in mental health has been given priority with inputs at undergraduate and postgraduate level and department is working towards de-stigmatizing psychiatry and mental illness among health care providers.
Head of the Department:
• The Department of Psychiatry offers both inpatient and out-patient clinical services. The services provided broadly include assessment and management of severe mental illness (schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder), common mental illness (depression, neurotic and
• The department has launched 24 hour suicide prevention Helpline (8277800719), which is attended by department staff. Counseling centre managed by the department provides services such as pre and post-surgery counseling, tobacco cessation services, premarital and sexual clinic, memory clinic, developmental disorder and stress management. Apart from counseling services,
Monday to Saturday -9am to 4.00 pm
Sunday – 8 AM to 1 PM
24/7 – Psychiatric emergency services.
- The department has an Electroencephalography, neuropsychological and
psychodiagnositicfacilities. Neuropsychological testing includes IQ assessments, cognitive assessment andneuropsychological tests, while psychodiagnosticsinclude Rorschach Ink blottests, Thematic Apperception Test and tests for personality assessments. The hospital provides serum Lithium level assessment also.
- Department of Psychiatry has clinical psychologists and
psychiatricsocial worker who havebeen trained in clinicalcare and teaching. Counseling centrehas been started in the Psychiatry OPD which runs daily from 9amto 4pm, with counseling services provided for tobacco cessation, stress management, marital and sexual dysfunction, pre and post-surgery counseling. Group therapy for alcohol dependence syndrome has been successfully conducted along with motivation enhancement therapy to relapse prevention in alcohol and other drug dependence syndromes. Individual psychotherapy and family therapy for patients is being done including various schools of psychotherapy from psychoanalysis to Indian system of psychotherapy.
- The training programs for postgraduates in Psychiatry are carried out at the department level and also inter-departmental level. Training is also imparted to undergraduate and post-graduate trainees of other departments of the Institute. The departmental activities for postgraduate training include- Seminar and journal club as per the syllabus prescribed by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health
sciences, Bangalore. Along with these academic programs, more focus is given to bedside teaching and case discussions.
- There are teaching programs conducted by the faculty as a series of introduction to psychiatry – history taking and mental status examination, research methodology, statistics, basic sciences
andpsychology. The residents are required to keep a record of details of their training in the form of a logbook including departmental case presentations, seminars, journal club and other academic activities, which will be monitored regularly.
- About Alumni
The present KARNATAKA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, HUBBALLI,( K.I.M.S. HUBBALLI.) was earlier known as the KARNATAKA MEDICAL COLLEGE, HUBBALLI. It was established in AUGUST 1957.For initial few years, the college was functioning from a building which is now known as J.G.Commerce College. Later, it was shifted to the present beautiful campus comprising of 100 acres of land, situated on Pune – Bangalore National Highway, Vidyanagar, Hubballi.
Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, P. B Road, Vidyanagar Hubballi - 580 022,
+91- 836- 2370057,
+91- 836 - 2373447,
+91 - 836 - 2373641
© KIMS HUBLI 2017