Psychiatry – Facility
- Well equipped and well staffed Out-Patient Department.
- Psychological testing / Counseling, Behavior therapy, Bio feedback
- 40 bedded In-Patient Department (IPD) with
male, female and pediatric beds.
- Audio – Visual aids like Desktop, LCD projector, Scanners
- State of the art modified Brief Pulse ECT machine with EEG monitoring.
- Digital EEG, Bio feedback machines.
- Department actively participates in National Mental Health Program.
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatric Services.
- Specialty Clinics – Memory Clinic, Child guidance
- Undergraduate / Post-Graduate teaching programs and clinical work goes on throughout the year.
- Many research activities are going on.
Head of the Department:
departmentof Psychiatry is currently headed by Prof DrMahesh Desai. He is a dedicated postgraduate teacher and has varied interests in research. He is also holding the post of Director (Incharge) at Dharwad Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience (DIMHANS), Dharwad.
- The Department of Psychiatry offers both inpatient and
out-patientclinical services. The services provided broadly include assessment and management of severe mental illness (schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder), common mental illness (depression, neurotic and stress related), various addictions, consultation liaisonpsychiatry, epilepsy and related behavioral disorders, dementia and memory related disorders, child and adolescent services. The department provides Modified Electroconvulsive therapy, Electro-Encephalogram andNarcoanalysis services. The department is successfully conducting group therapy for all patients with alcohol & other drug dependence syndrome. The department provides counseling and psychotherapy services on both inpatient and outpatients using various techniques like cognitive behavior therapy, interpersonal therapy andpsychodynamic therapy.
- The department has launched
24 hoursuicide prevention Helpline (8277800719), which is attended by department staff. Counseling centremanaged by the department provides services such as pre and post-surgery counseling, tobacco cessation services, premarital and sexual clinic, memory clinic, developmental disorder and stress management. Apart from counseling services, long termpsychotherapy services for patients with mental illness are provided by both psychiatrists and psychologists.
- OPD hours:
Monday to Saturday –
9amto 4.00 pm
Sunday – 8 AM to 1 PM
24/7 – Psychiatric emergency services.
- The department has an Electroencephalography, neuropsychological and
psychodiagnositicfacilities. Neuropsychological testing includes IQ assessments, cognitive assessment andneuropsychological tests, while psychodiagnosticsinclude Rorschach Ink blottests, Thematic Apperception Test and tests for personality assessments. The hospital provides serum Lithium level assessment also.
- Department of Psychiatry has clinical psychologists and
psychiatricsocial worker who havebeen trained in clinicalcare and teaching. Counseling centrehas been started in the Psychiatry OPD which runs daily from 9amto 4pm, with counseling services provided for tobacco cessation, stress management, marital and sexual dysfunction, pre and post-surgery counseling. Group therapy for alcohol dependence syndrome has been successfully conducted along with motivation enhancement therapy to relapse prevention in alcohol and other drug dependence syndromes. Individual psychotherapy and family therapy for patients is being done including various schools of psychotherapy from psychoanalysis to Indian system of psychotherapy.
- The training programs for postgraduates in Psychiatry are carried out at the department level and also inter-departmental level. Training is also imparted to undergraduate and post-graduate trainees of other departments of the Institute. The departmental activities for postgraduate training include- Seminar and journal club as per the syllabus prescribed by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health
sciences, Bangalore. Along with these academic programs, more focus is given to bedside teaching and case discussions.
- There are teaching programs conducted by the faculty as a series of introduction to psychiatry – history taking and mental status examination, research methodology, statistics, basic sciences
andpsychology. The residents are required to keep a record of details of their training in the form of a logbook including departmental case presentations, seminars, journal club and other academic activities, which will be monitored regularly.
- About Alumni
The present KARNATAKA INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL SCIENCES, HUBBALLI,( K.I.M.S. HUBBALLI.) was earlier known as the KARNATAKA MEDICAL COLLEGE, HUBBALLI. It was established in AUGUST 1957.For initial few years, the college was functioning from a building which is now known as J.G.Commerce College. Later, it was shifted to the present beautiful campus comprising of 100 acres of land, situated on Pune – Bangalore National Highway, Vidyanagar, Hubballi.
Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, P. B Road, Vidyanagar Hubballi - 580 022,
+91- 836- 2370057,
+91- 836 - 2373447,
+91 - 836 - 2373641
© KIMS HUBLI 2017